It’s true: Everyone benefits from daily exposure to sunlight. You can’t deny it is a primary source of Vitamin D. Getting Vitamin D isn’t the only reason to soak in some rays from the sun. It might surprise you to learn that sunshine levels out circadian rhythms and improves the quality of sleep. If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or non-seasonal depression, exposure to the sun is highly effective to alleviate symptoms. We know that the sun is a great source of Vitamin D but do you know why Vitamin D is important to your health?
The Important Health Benefits of the Sun
- You likely remember Mom or Grandma encouraging your to “drink your milk” because it helps to make bones and teeth strong. Further, this hard-working vitamin also helps in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
- Vitamin D helps repair injuries to the body as well as improve our immunity to toxins and illnesses. More recently, Vitamin D is believed to support recovery from Covid-19.
- Vitamin D works at a cellular level. There are about 20,000 to 25,000 human genes and Vitamin D affects almost 3,000 of them in some way. In particular, Vitamin D activates and deactivates 291 genes.
- Vitamin D also helps in neurotransmission. Did you know that 40% of Americans are deficient in Vitamin D which has an effect on neurological disorders including Alzheimer’s, strokes, Parkinson’s Disease, stroke, and epilepsy.
- Sunlight also creates beta-endorphins which boost mood and feelings of well-being.
- Sunshine produces nitric oxide, a free radical that helps to lower blood pressure.
- There are also benefits for heart health and is believed to reduce the risk for heart disease and heart attacks.
Benefits of Vitamin D For Other Conditions and Situations
- UV-C is an ultraviolet level that can act as Mother Nature’s disinfectant, killing bacteria and viruses.
- Morning sunlight can help you maintain a healthy weight. Scientists think that morning sunlight helps to shrink fat cells. They recommend 20-30 minutes between 8 a.m. and noon to be most effective. In addition, just having sunny and warm days encourages getting outside for exercise.
- Filtered sunlight is proven to treat a newborn baby for jaundice. The blue-green light from sun rays helps an infant’s body to secrete bilirubin, which is the cause of jaundice.
- Being out in the sun extends your lifespan. A study on 30,000 Swedish women discovered that those who spent more time in the sun lived 6 months to 2 years longer.
- Sunlight is also effective in healing inflammation and aiding in preventing cancer.
How much sun is too much?
Scientists think that 5 to 15 minutes of sun is beneficial for light-skinned people. Dark-skinned people benefit for as long as 30 minutes. It is important to note that experts say that more time in the sun requires sunscreen to prevent the skin from burning. In addition, large-brimmed hats, UV ray protective swimwear, and arm covers can protect your skin from burning and blistering.
To Your Good Health
At Spinal Logic Chiropractic, we care about your whole well-being and that includes the vitamins and other nutrients that feed your body as well as the condition of your bones, nerves, muscles, and organs. We believe that every aspect of your health feeds into your well-being. Call Spinal Logic Chiropractic at 317-745-5111 or visit us on the web at www.spinallogicchiropractic.com. We would love to see how we can help you feel your best!
Are you on Facebook? We are, too! Let’s be friends!
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.